Microsoft SQL Server 2022
SQL Server 2022
What’s New in Microsoft SQL Server 2022?
Microsoft SQL Server 2022 is loaded with exciting new features and enhancements to the core database engine, performance, and security. The following diagram gives a high-level representation of SQL Server 2022.
On-Prem SQL instance Business Continuity using Azure SQL Managed Instance
- The Azure SQL Managed instance as a new link feature simplifies the configuration and management for disaster recovery. Currently, you can use multi-subnet clusters or distributed availability groups that require complex configurations. The new link feature uses a built-in distributed availability group (DAG) to replicate data to existing Azure SQL quickly Managed instances. DBAs do not spend much time on lengthy configurations or DR instance maintenance
- The link-in feature enables you to read scale-out queries as well to the DR servers. Therefore, you can offload heavy read requests to the Azure SQL Managed Instance
- You can failover from on-premises SQL Instance to Azure SQL Managed instance (DR) or vice-a-versa
- You can restore (move) the database from the Azure SQL Managed Instance (DR) to on-premises SQL Server
- Backup database from Managed instance to the storage account
- Restore database in the on-prem instance from the backup file stored in a storage account
Seamless analytics over on-prem operational data
- Hybrid transactional processing
- Analytical processing
- Near real-time analysis
- Minimal impact on the source (operational) system
Azure Purview integration
- Automatically scan your on-premises SQL Server for free to capture metadata
- It can automatically scale on-premises SQL Server for capturing metadata
- You can use in-built or custom data classifiers and use Microsoft Information Protection sensitivity labels
- Configure and control access rights to SQL Server
SQL Server Database Ledger with blockchain functionality
- Intelligent Query Processing for a parameterized query: Parameter sniffing is a problematic issue in stored procedures with different parameters. SQL Server stores(cache) an execution plan based on a parameter that might not work efficiently with another parameter. The current SQL Server version can cache a single execution plan for a stored procedure. Therefore, the query execution with a different parameter can create a performance issue. SQL 2022 Parameter Sensitive Plan Optimization feature enables storing multiple cache plans for a single parameterized statement. SQL Server chooses the optimized execution plan based on the incoming parameter value. You do not require any code change for using the Parameter Sensitive Plan Optimization feature. Change the compatibility level 160 for the required database and this feature is automatically enabled as a database scoped feature
- Query Store: SQL Server 2022 enables the Query Store feature, by default, for every database
- Peer-to-Peer replica conflict: In the multi-write database environment, users can change the local database data and be replicated in a two-way flow of updates to remain. However, if multiple customers update the same row simultaneously at different write replicas, it can create a data conflict that could stall the whole operation
What is Microsoft SQL Server ?
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft. As a database server, it is a software product with the primary function of storing and retrieving data as requested by other software applications—which may run either on the same computer or on another computer across a network (including the Internet).
History of Microsoft SQL Server
The history of Microsoft SQL Server begins with the first Microsoft SQL Server product – SQL Server 1.0, a 16-bit server for the OS/2 operating system in 1989 – and extends to the current day.
The following versions are supported by Microsoft:
- SQL Server 2008
- SQL Server 2008 R2
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2019
- SQL Server 2022
Download Introducing to Microsoft SQL Server 2019 (Ebook in Pdf Format)
Try SQL Server on-premises or in the cloud
Download a free specialized edition
SQL Server 2019 Developer is a full-featured free edition, licensed for use as a development and test database in a non-production environment.
SQL Server 2019 Express is a free edition of SQL Server, ideal for development and production for desktop, web, and small server applications.
Microsoft SQL Server tools and connectors
Download SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
Download SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT)
Download Data Migration Assistant
Download SQL Server Migration Assistant for Oracle
Evolution of SQL Server
SQL Server Editions
The following table describes the editions of SQL Server.
|SQL Server edition||Definition|
|Enterprise||The premium offering, SQL Server Enterprise edition delivers comprehensive high-end datacenter capabilities with blazing-fast performance, unlimited virtualization1, and end-to-end business intelligence – enabling high service levels for mission-critical workloads and end-user access to data insights.|
|Standard||SQL Server Standard edition delivers basic data management and business intelligence database for departments and small organizations to run their applications and supports common development tools for on-premises and cloud – enabling effective database management with minimal IT resources.|
|Web||SQL Server Web edition is a low total-cost-of-ownership option for Web hosters and Web VAPs to provide scalability, affordability, and manageability capabilities for small to large-scale Web properties.|
|Developer||SQL Server Developer edition lets developers build any kind of application on top of SQL Server. It includes all the functionality of Enterprise edition, but is licensed for use as a development and test system, not as a production server. SQL Server Developer is an ideal choice for people who build and test applications.|
|Express editions||Express edition is the entry-level, free database and is ideal for learning and building desktop and small server data-driven applications. It is the best choice for independent software vendors, developers, and hobbyists building client applications. If you need more advanced database features, SQL Server Express can be seamlessly upgraded to other higher end versions of SQL Server. SQL Server Express LocalDB is a lightweight version of Express that has all of its programmability features, runs in user mode and has a fast, zero-configuration installation and a short list of prerequisites.|
1 Unlimited virtualization is available on Enterprise Edition for customers with Software Assurance. Deployments must comply with the licensing guide. For more information, see our pricing and licensing page.