Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365
6 Critical Reasons for Office 365 Backup
As a robust and highly capable Software as a Service (SaaS) platform, Microsoft Office 365 fits the needs of many organizations perfectly. Office 365 provides application Availability and uptime to ensure your users never skip a beat, but an Office 365 backup can protect you against many other security threats. You or your boss might be thinking, “The recycle bin is probably good enough.” This is where many people get it wrong. The average length of time from data compromise to discovery is over 140 days.
A shockingly large gap. The likelihood is high that you won’t notice something is missing or gone until it’s too late for the recycle bin. By talking with hundreds of IT professionals across the globe who have migrated to Office 365, six vulnerabilities in data protection rise to the top.
#1 – Accidental deletion
#2 – Retention policy gaps and confusion
#3 – Internal security threats
#4 – External security threats
#5 – Legal and compliance requirements
#6 – Managing hybrid email deployments and migrations to Office 365
Go ahead and take a closer look. There are security gaps you may not have been aware of before. You already made a smart business decision by deploying Microsoft Office 365, now find a backup solution that offers you both complete access and
complete control of your Office 365 data and avoid the unnecessary risks of data loss.
What is Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365?
Microsoft Office 365 is indispensable and powerful collaborative tool, but it lacks a complete backup of your Office 365 data.
Veeam® Backup for Microsoft Office 365 reduce the risk of losing your Office 365’s access and control. It allows you to backup or recover to a local storage or hyperscaled public cloud storage like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure or local service provider
You will be to install Veeam® Backup for Microsoft Office 365 on a local or cloud machine.
|OneDrive for Business||Yes|
How does Veeam Backup for Office 365 Works?
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 FAQs
What is Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365?
Veeam® Backup for Microsoft Office 365 mitigates the risk of losing access and control over your Office 365 data including Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business — so that your data is always hyper-available and protected. It gives you the power to securely backup Office 365 and:
- Protect your Office 365 data from accidental deletion, security threats and retention policy gaps
- Quickly restore individual Office 365 items and files with industry-leading recovery flexibility
- Meet legal and compliance requirements with efficient eDiscovery of Office 365 backup archives
What’s new in version 2?
Version 2 enables you to take control of your Office 365 data with backup and recovery of Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive. It includes:
- NEW! Data Protection for OneDrive for Business. Fast, efficient backup of Office 365 OneDrive for Business accounts with the ability to restore and export files and folders with the NEW Veeam Explorer™ for Microsoft OneDrive.
- NEW! Data Protection for SharePoint. The ability to back up SharePoint Online and SharePoint on-premises with fast, flexible recovery of SharePoint sites, documents, libraries and lists with the already-familiar Veeam Explorer for Microsoft SharePoint now built-in.
- ENHANCED! Major ease-of-use and backup flexibility improvements in a newly redesigned job wizard to make set-up, search and maintaining visibility into your data easier than ever.
Can Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 be used as a standalone product, or does it require other Veeam products?
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is a separate, standalone product that is a key component of the Veeam Availability Platform.
What Office 365 services does Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 support and protect (Microsoft Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams)?
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 supports Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business. It also supports on-premises deployments of Exchange and SharePoint. You can also protect Microsoft Teams when the underlying storage of the Teams data is within SharePoint Online, Exchange Online or OneDrive for Business.
Can I use Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 for hybrid deployments between on-premises Exchange or SharePoint and Office 365?
Yes, Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 provides protection for hybrid email and SharePoint deployments as well as the ability to migrate data between on-premises and Office 365.
How is Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 licensed?
Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 is licensed on a subscription basis. One to five-year subscriptions are available and customers can choose to purchase the entire subscription up front, or pay annually. Larger discounts are provided for longer subscriptions.
All subscription licenses are sold per user (minimum purchase of ten licenses required) and include 24×7 Production Support.
What counts as a user?
To calculate the number of licenses you need, count the number of users within your Office 365 subscription. You do not need to count the same user more than once across multiple Office 365 services (e.g. The same Exchange Online, SharePoint Online and OneDrive for Business user = One Veeam Backup for Microsoft Office 365 user).
Here are additional details for each Office 365 service:
- Exchange Online or on-premises Exchange: A user mailbox can be a personal mailbox, an Online Archive mailbox, or both — you only need one license for that user. Please note that shared and resource mailboxes do not need to be licensed, and can be backed up FREE of charge.
- OneDrive for Business: OneDrive for Business user licenses are automatically aligned with their matching email accounts. This means you cannot use the same license to backup one user’s email and another user’s OneDrive for Business account. Please note that OneDrive (without “for Business”) is a separate storage service and is not supported with this solution.
- SharePoint Online or on-premises SharePoint: Each SharePoint user inside your Office 365 subscription (or on-premises deployment) that has been granted access to the SharePoint sites you are looking to protect needs to be licensed to backup and protect your organization’s SharePoint environment. If you have a hybrid SharePoint deployment (on-premises SharePoint and SharePoint Online) and the same user has access to both, only one Veeam license is needed for that user. Please note that external SharePoint users do not need to be licensed. An external SharePoint user is someone from outside your Office 365 subscription to whom you have given access to one or more sites, files or folders. External authenticated users are limited to basic collaboration tasks and external anonymous users can edit or view specific documents when given specific permissions.
Can I remove a user from the backup and apply the license to another user?
Veeam counts managed users with at least one restore point created in the past 31 days. After a month without backing up a user, you will be able to apply that license to another user and begin protecting it.